Armonk, New YorkAnd 27 July 2021 /PRNewswire/ — IBM (NYSE: IBM) today announced IBM z/OS V2.5, a next-generation operating system (OS) for IBM Z, designed to accelerate customer adoption of hybrid cloud and artificial intelligence and drive application modernization projects.
According to the IBM Institute Business Value Study on “Upgrading Applications to Mainframe” released today, 71% of CEOs surveyed say mainframe-based applications are central to their business strategy; Within three years, the percentage of organizations that utilize mainframe assets in a hybrid cloud environment is expected to more than double.
IBM z/OS V2.5 helps increase value for our customers by introducing unused capabilities through AI-enabled, application modernization, resiliency, enhanced security, and an enhanced developer experience.
AI capabilities on IBM Z
According to the “Global AI Adoption Index 2021” conducted by Morning Consult commissioned by IBM, 87% of global IT professionals surveyed report that it is very or somewhat significant to their company that they be competent to build and manage their own AI projects Wherever the data is.. With z/OS V2.5, IBM is introducing unused lofty-performance AI capabilities that integrate tightly with z/OS workloads, designed to donate customers business insights to make more informed decisions.
“IBM is comprehensive on hybrid cloud and AI, and we are very focused on delivering unused innovations like AI and unused security capabilities on IBM Z to aid our customers move forward, and more quickly, on their modernization journeys,” Ross MoreyGM, IBM Z. “For our customers, IBM z/OS V2.5 brings unused security and resiliency capabilities to the platform, and enables customers to bring real-time AI into every business transaction—necessities that are becoming even more pressing during a pandemic.”
Enhanced security to make customer data ready for the coming
Amid recent threats like SolarWinds and Colonial Pipeline ransomware attack against critical infrastructure, there is an ongoing need for customers to further enhance overall cyber security and resiliency. IBM z/OS V2.5 helps meet these challenges by revealing a wide range of improvements across authentication, authorization, logging, system integration, system and data availability, on-the-fly and at rest data encryption, and comprehensive data privacy including:
- Extending end-to-end encryption to unused types of datasets: Sequential basic format and big-format SMS-managed datasets are now included, providing users with the aptitude to encrypt data without application changes and simplifying compliance
- Abnormality mitigation capabilities This leverages Predictive Failure Analysis (PFA), Runtime Diagnostics, Workload Manager (WLM), and JES2 to aid detect anomalies in near real time, allowing customers to proactively address potential issues
A secure and scalable hybrid cloud environment
As customers accelerate their journey to the hybrid cloud, a secure and scalable environment is critical to the core transformation process. IBM z/OS V2.5 introduces unused capabilities that support application refresh and provide a cloud-native experience on z/OS:
- New Interoperability for Java / COBOL It extends existing application programming models with support for 31-bit and 64-bit parallel processing, simplifying the modernization of enterprise applications.
- Improved performance and ease of use for z/OS Container Extensions (zCX) To integrate Linux applications and utilities into z/OS.
- Additional Cloud Storage Integration Capabilities By supporting transparent cloud layers (TCT) and object access method (OAM) cloud tiers to aid decrease capital and operating expenses while moving data to hybrid clouds for simplified data archiving and data protection on IBM Z.
IBM z/OS V2.5 is expected to be faster and easier to install and upgrade, with one customer experience demonstrating the aptitude to install z/OS up to 30% faster compared to IBM z/OS 2.3 and 2.4. With the simplified management experience provided by the simplified and automated tasks, specialized skills may not be required. IBM z/OS V2.5 is expected to be generally available on September 30, 2021.
Statements regarding IBM’s coming direction and intentions are subject to change or withdrawal without notice and represent goals and objectives only.
IBM is a global leader in hybrid cloud, artificial intelligence, and business services, helping customers in more than 175 countries leverage insights from their data, streamline business processes, decrease costs, and acquire a competitive advantage in their industries. Nearly 3,000 government and corporate entities in critical infrastructure areas such as financial services, telecommunications, and healthcare rely on IBM’s hybrid cloud platform and Red Hat OpenShift to impact their digital transformations quickly, efficiently, and securely. IBM’s breakthrough innovations in artificial intelligence, quantum computing, industry-specific cloud solutions, and business services provide begin and flexible options for our customers. It’s all backed by IBM’s legendary commitment to trust, transparency, accountability, inclusiveness, and service.
For more information visit www.ibm.com
2 According to customer’s inner standards